- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
This is my take on the classic Waldorf salad, using balsamic vinegar instead of mayonnaise.
106 people made this
- 425g (15 oz) diced cold, cooked chicken
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 50g (2 oz) chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:15min ›Ready in:15min
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken, apple, celery, onion and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and oil and pour over the salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes, mix again and chill.
Serve this over a bed of salad greens, or try it as a sandwich filler!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(102)
Reviews in English (77)
Quick and easy to make. Fantastic tasting too!-05 Oct 2009
A winner in my house! Of course, I altered a bit (I adapted it for 2 people)...1. I used 1 grilled chicken breast from the prepared foods section of the grocery store2. Diced red onion instead of green3. I added about a teaspoon of honey to the oil and vinegar4. I added about 2 handfuls of baby spinach.-28 Sep 2005
This is really delicious! I left out the celery and used 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion instead of the green. I also switched measurments and used 3 Tbs olive oil, and 5 Tbs balsamic vinegar.I served it on top of a green salad, which then didn't need any extra dressing. A great healthy and unusual alternative to mayonnaise-y chicken salad; I'll be making it again next time i picnic!-19 Aug 2004