- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
A quick and easy family dinner. It makes enough for leftovers - and it tastes even better the next day.
23 people made this
- 450g mince beef
- 950ml water, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2.25kg potatoes, peeled
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 pinch salt to taste
MethodPrep:35min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Extra time:10min resting › Ready in:2hr15min
- Break up the mince in a large, deep pot. Pour in water, and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and soak beef for about 20 minutes at room temperature. Add whole potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions. Stir in additional water, if needed, until potatoes are mostly covered.
- Cover the pot and bring to the boil slowly over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes begin to fall apart, about 1 hour, adding water as needed, to keep the stew moist. Season with salt to taste. Cover, remove from heat, and allow stew to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (5)
This is a new St. Patty's day favorite for us. I used ground lamb instead of beef, and substituted celery for parsnip. I also added fresh chopped parsley and fresh chopped rosemary. It was still a bit bland, but that can be fixed with a few extra spices, and my kids actually prefer it more on the bland side. I will be making this again! :-) I might try adding garlic next time.-18 Mar 2011
This was a nice simple meal to make. However my husband didn't like it and he's mostly Irish. The consistency was off for him. I enjoyed it more, but will not be making it again. I had listened to others about the blandness of this dish and spiced it with thyme, peper and garlic salt. We both enjoyed the flavor. I toppped mine with shredded white sharp chedder too which helped.-26 Aug 2010