We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Sweet potato soup
An African soup made with yam or sweet potatoes, cumin, thyme, salsa, chickpeas, courgettes, rice and peanut butter. It's a delicious and satisfying soup that takes less than 45 minutes to make.
182 people made this
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 250ml chunky salsa
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 courgette, diced
- 80g cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion, sweet potato and garlic until onion is soft. Turn down heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- Stir in the chicken stock, thyme and cumin. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in salsa, chickpeas and courgette. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and peanut butter until the peanut butter has dissolved. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(209)
Reviews in English (163)
Used different ingredients.I used cous cous instead of rice for convenience and mushrooms instead of courgette.-04 Jul 2011
I made this soup for my boyfriend who was having a lot of dental work done and could only have liquids for four weeks and it was just perfect for him. It gave him all the nutrition he needed, tasted absolutely gorgeous and still had some texture to satisfy. I had to stop myself eating the lot to leave him some.-04 Jul 2011
after tinkering with this recipe, i ended up with more of a stew than a soup (although the recipe as submitted is pretty darn good!). i prefer a fuller stew. i added almost a full cup of crunchy peanut butter (for a nicely added crunch and to make it creamier), substituted the cumin for curry. I also added a minced jalapeno pepper along with a full jar of hot chunky salsa. i omitted the rice and added chopped chicken. I had some red peppers, so i chopped them up and threw them in. yum! even my daughter, who is not a big veggie lover, really enjoys this recipe! thank you!!-23 Dec 2007