- Dish type
- French toast
Decadent mornings start with this recipe! Raspberry cheesecake filling is spread between two layers of bread, before being dipped into beaten eggs and pan-fried until browned. Serve for a weekend brunch to remember, or treat mum to breakfast in bed!
115 people made this
- 240ml milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 240g raspberry puree or jam
- 110g cream cheese, softened
- 12 thick slices soft white batch bread, about 1 loaf
- butter, for frying
- icing sugar, to serve
- nutmeg, to serve
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:30min
- In a bowl, whisk milk, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon into the beaten eggs until well blended. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together raspberry puree and cream cheese until smooth. Make 'sandwiches' spreading the raspberry-cheese mixture over 6 slices of bread, then topping with the other slice.
- Melt a knob of butter over medium heat in a large frying pan. Dip bread into egg mixture, coating thoroughly. Cook until well-browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and nutmeg. Serve immediately.
The easiest way of making raspberry puree is by blitzing raspberries in a food processor until smooth. Push through a fine sieve if you want the puree to be seedless.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(145)
Reviews in English (107)
Made and assembled the french bread & rasberry/cream cheese the night before and put in refrig. Also made egg mixture the night before, then in morning just heated griddle and dipped bread in egg mixture and browned on both sides, stayed together and was very tasty. We love cinammon but 2TBLS was too much, next time I will use 2teas. also I used 9 oz. rasberry to 8 oz. cream cheese and this was very tasty.-25 Dec 2006
I used this recipe to help me re-create an amazing stuffed french toast I had at a brunch with friends. I used a disposable pastry bag to apply the raspberry/cheese mixture, which made things a lot easier.In place of the confectioner's sugar,I made an irresistable topping using 1/2 C Oats, 1/2 C brown sugar, 1 C chopped pecans and 3 TBSP honey. Spread evenly over the slices and baked at suggested temp and time. RAVE reviews!!-29 Apr 2006
So good and though I didn't need to change a thing I did replace half of the milk with orange juice on my second try - added a nice twist. Thanks!-24 Oct 2005