- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
Small, round biscuits are spiced with nutmeg, cinnamon and ground cloves. Enjoy them with a cup of tea or coffee.
12 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 5 dozen
- 500g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 100g caster sugar
- 275g golden syrup
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 110g unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 40g icing sugar for decoration
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:12min ›Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:8hr32min
- Stir together flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, spices and dash black pepper.
- In large saucepan, combine golden syrup and butter; heat and stir until butter melts. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in eggs. Add dry ingredients to syrup mixture; mix well. Cover. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Shape into 2.5cm balls. Place on greased baking trays.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for 12 to 14 minutes or until biscuits are done. Remove. Cool. Roll in icing sugar.
Make perfect cookies every time with our How to make cookies guide!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(9)
Reviews in English (6)
I have been making these for years and everyone adores them, the only change I have made is to only cook them 8-9 minutes, 12 is much too long, you want to take them out when they are still somewhat soft as they will harden a bit as they cool. This way you will have a softer, chewier cookie.-09 Apr 2008
Not at all like traditional Pfeffernuesse. Dry, not very much spice flavor, and much too much molasses. Would not make again, will continue to look for better recipe.-09 Dec 2001
by Deborah Cusick
The dough is a bit stiff to work with but the results are excellent! This is a spice cookie with a wonderful little "bite" that develops the main spice flavor. Excellent with a cup of hot tea.-23 Dec 2005