- Dish type
- Mushroom soup
A delicious vegan-friendly soup, that is packed full of vegetables, flavour and general goodness. You can serve this as a starter or with crusty bread, for a substantial meal.
25 people made this
- 4 (400g) tins canned artichoke hearts, finely sliced
- 250ml olive oil
- 1.35kg shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 small red onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 100g plain flour
- 125ml rice vinegar
- 3.75 litres water
- 6 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 6 dried wild or porcini mushrooms, softened in water
- 1.35kg fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1.35kg carrots, sliced
- 100g capers
- 50g fresh parsley, chopped
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Using a extra-large stock pot saute onions, garlic and shallots in olive oil and set on low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and cook for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar and cook for approximately 3 minutes, in order for vinegar to evaporate.
- Stir in water, vegetable stock cubes, salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, thyme and sliced artichokes and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add dried mushrooms along with the water they soaked in, fresh mushrooms and carrots. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in capers and parsley, season with salt and serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(26)
Reviews in English (19)
Definitely time consuming, once you are done draining the artichokes and slicing all the mushrooms but oh, it is so worth it! Unfortunately doesn't store well and loses most of its taste by the next meal, definitely by the next morning.-28 Oct 2006
I was a little apprehensive about trying this recipe because I generally only try the ones that are 5 star rated- but this one changed all that! This soup is delicious! I scaled down the servings quite a bit, and it was wonderful. I cooked it for some friends and they raved about it! Great recipe!-09 Feb 2004
I tasted a soup like this, so I looked for and found this recipe. I made it for a party and was thrilled with the results. I made a few moderations like using chicken stock as I didn't need it to be vegetarian. It was FABULOUS!! I loved it!-01 Dec 2004