- Dish type
This waffle recipe is truly special. Serving with the homemade chocolate sauce is optional; they are equally delicious with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
60 people made this
- 110ml black treacle
- 110ml golden syrup
- 110g butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- 250g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 475ml boiling water
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 60g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:30min
- In a small saucepan, heat treacle, golden syrup and 110g butter until almost boiling. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in bicarb, milk and egg.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the treacle mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot with chocolate sauce.
- To make chocolate sauce: In a saucepan, combine water, 200g sugar, cornflour, cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to the boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter; stir until smooth.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(63)
Reviews in English (49)
My 5 year old son requested waffles that taste like gingerbread men so I made these. I didn’t have any black treacle in so just used golden syrup. He enjoyed them-01 Dec 2017
This is a great recipe. Easy to follow. Turned out fantastic. The aroma calls people to it!-25 Feb 2015
I have made this on several occasions -- but serve it with Nutmeg Sauce. They are awesome!I even had to make some so my sister could sharewith co-workers cause she raved about them so much!1/2 c white sugar 1 c boiling water1 1/2 Tbsp flour 1 1/2 Tbsp buttersalt 1 tsp vanilla1/4 tsp nutmegcombine all dry ingredients in saucepan. Addboiling water stirring constantly. cook over low heat till thick and smooth. remove from heat,add butter and vanilla.(I find I need to at least double this recipe!)-05 Apr 2004